Translate

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dream Journal #7

I have returned from Asia, so the blog is back in business. Might as well reopen with something interesting.

04 Apr—05 Apr

I was at home with my mother. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with her, but she began acting so terrible and somehow cruel that it made me cry. Huddled on the green couch under covers, I texted Grandma Mona*, tapping letter by letter, always fearfully checking if my mother was watching. In the end I couldn't bring myself to send the text message and just sat there crying.

Later the same day, my mother seemed to have been healed. We went to a museum, its walls dull pink, that was about the size and layout of a house. The exhibits were mostly sculpture-type things, including one human-height skeleton with an elongated skull like a cross between a triceratops (I seem to like them subconsciously?) and a rodent. In the centre of one room stood Lori**, a younger Kennedy*** in her arms, with the latter's face buried in Lori's shoulder. We may have conversed for a bit before my mother and I moved on. We commented that it was a shame Dad didn't make it today. Somehow we knew the apocalypse was coming soon, and we thought that everything there would be reduced to skeletons by the time we could come again. I briefly imagined the Lori-and-Kennedy exhibit as skeletons before another museumgoer brought up that museums change exhibits fairly often, anyway. My mother and I realized how much that really undermined what we were saying.

My father joined us in a restaurant, which we had earlier visited for breakfast while my mother was still being tyrannous, for dinner and a show. It was Disney-based, with many characters from different worlds interacting, and I somehow already knew some of what to expect. In the introduction, various groups of actors, from different Disney movies, came in. I particularly remember Luke**** and two other boys with purple wolf masks resting on top of their heads. Parts of the show included a party, with a long table full of stacks of punch bowls and other food containers that were obviously empty but pretending to not be. Rapunzel dipped out some invisible punch as she was talking to someone. At one point it was hinted that Peter Pan was going to arrive, so I looked to the ceiling excitedly. To my disappointment the actor was not Sealand, but he still "flew in" on cords and tumbled to a landing just in front of the stage (which was actually a few steps lower than the dinner area). It turned out that Peter Pan was actually also Pinocchio, and he made a show of stuffing some of his strings in his clothes before going to interact with the others.

During the intermission, I ended up heading outside on some sort of concrete porch. A grid of folding chairs seated quite a few people who were ambiguous church friends. At some point a bald man dressed in black with a scowl on his face walked by while I stood there, and I hurried to hug him while informing him he looked like he needed a hug. Then I realized he was a random stranger and felt awkward about it, so I pulled away, though not without having gotten his attention first. As I stood there being awkward, the man made some sarcastic comment about how he was doing fine. This also had something to do with him tasting beer but no longer drinking it, and one of the men sitting on the porch congratulated him and told him not drinking was a good thing.

I went back to the show after that. Now only a small amount of ice was left in my drink cup (which likely had Dr. Pepper in it previously), but I started drinking and it soon ended up being a full glass of ice water. My mother announced she was leaving to track down someone she could pay for the meal, as well as for the morning meal in the restaurant she had failed to pay in her reign of terror earlier.

* Grandma Mona is my paternal grandmother. She's single and not tech-savvy, so I have no idea why I would try to confuse her by texting her.

** Lori is a family friend whom we haven't visited in a while.

*** Kennedy is Lori's daughter. She's a lot younger than me, but she was probably about three in the dream, and again terribly shy.

**** Luke (not the one mentioned in The Scribes) is a school friend who's pretty awesome. He did excellently in the recent improv contest, if that gives you a good idea about him.

3 comments:

  1. I always love reading your dreams, Journey. People always say that they have 'crazy' dreams, but they're pretty mundane in comparison to the stuff you and I think up. The whole thing about the dinner party, especially with Peter Pan/Sealand/Pinocchio, was particularly great. Same with the guy getting angry about tasting beer but not being able to drink it. XD

    I dreamed that I was Lithuania, and Poland and I were a two-person team trying to get through this obstacle course that was sort of like a gigantic version of a kids' jungle gym. The 'obstacles' included dangerous/unpleasant things like having to get injections, trying to cross a bottomless gap on a bridge made of teeter-totters, and shooting paintball guns at this stone disc that would activate a booby trap if we hit it wrong (more on that later). This was also some sort of simulation game, so that if we made a mistake and died, we would appear back at the start of the obstacle course. At one point, I fell off of the teeter-totter into the cliff because Poland wasn't balancing the other end like he should have been. I sank into some sort of brownish goop that was almost like soy sauce and drowned; the last thing I saw was Poland trying to save me and crying that "It should have been [him]!" At another point we both fell off the teeter-totters together, but held hands in some sort of act of solidarity and friendship as we fell to the ground. The final obstacle, with the paintball guns and the stone disc, was inside a stone chamber with only one exit. We had to walk along a narrow walkway, which was above more of the brown goop, in order to shoot the guns at the disc. If we missed the disc, the opening would close and the room would be flooded with the goop. A whole bunch of kids from my school were there, and at one point this guy who I sort of know had a fit and started shooting at everything. The opening started to close and everyone tried to run out. A few people got out, but the rest of us were trapped in. There was a slight opening through which we could stick our hands, but it was high enough that we would still drown once the room filled with the goop. It started filling up and there was nothing we could do but wait to 'die.' I went over to where Poland was and started hugging him and sobbing overdramatically. He got disgusted and told me not to do that. I'm pretty sure we both drowned after that, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete