Translate

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Writing from Music

As opposed to just writing to music.

At an orchestra concert a while ago, I had been innocently listening to the music when Luke (sitting next to me) asked what kind of head-story I had formed from the music. I, of course, had done no such thing, but I gave it a shot for the next piece and ended up with some short concerning a werewolf and a fleeing female (no relation to Dynblaidd).

That was the last song of the night, and my little story wasn't interesting enough to flesh out, but I thought I might give it another try. I've already toyed with an idea concerning "Just a Job to Do" by Genesis (which somehow came on shuffle as I was writing this, just like the original post...), but I think I might check out some more classical-type music. Being without lyrics, it'd be a lot more challenging, but it's worth a shot. If I come up with anything interesting, I'll put up a New Fiction Idea and give credit to the song; if I fail several times, I may just post a sequel to this with the fragments I got from the songs.

Have you ever sought inspiration from music without lyrics? Do you have any songs you'd like to recommend?

6 comments:

  1. Almost all of my stories main plot points and/or characters have a song they were written too. It will help me recall a snippet of story to listen to the song that goes with it.
    (Mim)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard (from one person, at least) that they download all of the "Recommended Listening" songs from one of my fan fictions so they can recall parts of the series. Most of the songs others recommend aren't the kind I like, though, ha.

      Delete
  2. That's the best part about songs with no lyrics! t can mean whatever you want it to mean. It's the main source of all my noveling inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Any favourite composers/artists?

      (Also, your Ashford story sounds like something I wouldn't mind reading! At the same time, I'm currently reading Don Quixote, so I can't really take anything to do with knights seriously at the moment.)

      Delete
  3. That's a really cool idea, to form stories to music with no words. I can't say I've ever done that before. The only wordless-music I ever really listen to is the soundtracks from Nancy Drew games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it sounds like we're a minority in that!

      Yeah, the only instrumental piece on my iPod is "D.N.A." by A Flock of Seagulls. I feel like I'd prefer something a bit older for this whole thing, though.

      Delete