Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

Visual Association Centers

I've been considering a visual novel for a while, particularly due to my experience with the Phoenix Wright games.

As such, my first hope was a fan fiction of sorts for that series; outside of a crossover, it's a little hard for me to think about fan works that wouldn't themselves be visual novels.

Of course, an original visual novel might be fun, too. There would be a lot more to put together than for a plain text-only, one-route novel, but that's the point, isn't it? I would just have to figure out what story wants to be seen as well, and not as a manga; what story could be playable with some alternate courses of action.

One friend has suggested Midnight at the Iston Diner for this. I am sort of drawn to the idea of doing more of a mystery for my visual novel, given my inspiration. It really wouldn't be bad seeing Jenny and some of the others, either.

What kind of visual novel would you want to play? Does anything of mine, Iston or otherwise, strike you as a good story for one? Would you even want to try a visual novel from me, or is it safer to spend my time on "normal" novels?

5 comments:

  1. You have so many stories... Maybe Man in the Blade?
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. That's an interesting idea. It would take a lot of extra artwork... I'll think about it.

      Delete
  2. Wait, excuse my stupidity, but what actually is a visual novel? I assumed you meant like a graphic novel or comic book until you said "play" ... is it like a stationary video game? Because I was thinking that either a mystery or a futuristic/steampunk/superpowers story might be fun to see visually, but I might be missing something here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like, Phoenix Wright is a visual novel. It's basically a style of video game, but, uh, with limited playability and extra plot? I'm still not entirely sure of the definition myself.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I looked it up, and I get it more now. Sort of like a Nancy Drew game (or any adventure game, really) if you couldn't really move around that much and spent more time talking to characters than solving puzzles and going from place to place. I can't keep track of all your stories ... but one that has cool visuals (like superpowers, characters with interesting appearances, neat background settings) and lots of character interaction/dialogue as opposed to action, then? One of the mysteries would make sense ... Iston Diner would be cool.

      Delete