Translate

Saturday, April 19, 2014

New Fiction Idea #48

I am entirely sure this was inspired by a dream, particularly the setting, yet I cannot remember any of the dream.

At any rate, it's basically the same as all the other stories I write, except the parties involved are for the most part allied against outside forces.

Working Title: Checkout (I really have no idea what to name it)

Genre: Suspense

Protagonist: Paul, the kind of everyman who got into this to save people and is a little disillusioned after a few years of work and paperwork. He has a tired air about him, but he still keeps up a good attitude and is loyal to his profession.

Other Main Characters: Alexis, the squad leader. She's serious and spitfire, and it's extremely hard for her to back down. When she's stubborn, it's usually for the rules's or her teammates's sake and not her own.
Jim, the least intelligent member of the squad (to the point most other officers think he only made it on due to bribery or nepotism). He prefers not to take things seriously whenever possible, although he's still pretty capable at times.
The rest of the squad, although they haven't revealed themselves to me yet.

Antagonist: Spoiler. It is a murderer responsible for the initial case as well as the casualties racked up during the investigation.

Setting: A large, ornate, old-fashioned luxury hotel. Still in business (although obviously not still checking in customers during the investigation), it shows some of its age but is well-kept.

Plot: The squad arrives at the hotel to investigate a murder in one of the suites.They don't get far before someone sets off a deadly trapand another. Clearly the murderer is still at it, and the remainder of the squad tries to track the culprit down and detain him/her without losing any more of their lives or risking others'.

Point of View: Third person, limited to Paul.

3 comments:

  1. I actually had a rather odd dream a week or two ago that I converted into a short story idea, too. I'm not actually going to write it, but it was very vivid.

    Oho, I like the setting. Very Agatha Christie-ish.

    I think it sounds exciting, and definitely the sort of thing I would read, but it might need a little something extra to make it stand out from the typical murder-mystery-in-an-old-building plot. The death traps, if they're creative enough, could possibly fulfill this role.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I've still only read one Agatha Christie book... I should work on that.

      I promise to make them interesting, then! (If I do write this.)

      Delete
    2. You've read And Then There Were None, right? That's my favorite, although in general I like the Poirot mysteries the best. He's a little annoying, but the way he always puts together even the most baffling case makes up for it.

      If you're making the death traps interesting, I don't know whether to be excited or scared... XD

      Delete