Translate

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Shouting at a Brick Wall

It's hard to tell what readers think if they don't say anything. This is a rather frustrating fact, although I understand that there are plenty of legitimate reasons for readers not to comment.

For example, I get a lot of hits from foreign countries that aren't predominantly English-speaking. If the reader is not very confident in his or her English, I can totally understand why he or she would want to avoid saying anything the wrong way.

I'm not very good at critiques myself, so I don't want to review if I don't feel I have to—usually for oneshot fan fictions or other completed fan fictions that I can just add to my favourites to express approval—but I do try to give a few comments on things that affected me and encourage the author to post the next chapter soon. It just seems like a way to show respect for the writing and what the writer goes through.

Recently, I checked out the profile of someone who reviewed Cage, and I saw one section that I really loved:

"You know that thing you as a reader, or writer for a matter of fact, call too lazy to review? To us as writers it scares us and we begin to think:

Is my writing really that bad?

Does anybody even read this stuff?

What's wrong with it? Grammar? Spelling? My style? SOMEBODY TELL ME!

I suck at this... I quit.
 
Why do I even write anymore?

That's what causes some of your favorite stories on fanfiction to become abandoned, because the author lost their will to write. Every time we go without a review we get discouraged and that little sense of doubt in the back of our had starts nagging at us, telling us how much our writing sucks. When I was a reader I didn't believe in reviewing. But now as a writer, I review all the stories I possibly can. All it takes is a few seconds... Be kind about it too."

Thankfully I've been blessed to find someone patient enough to review just about everything I write, fan fiction or blog, so my situation really isn't that bad if no one else gives me feedback. Still, sometimes I have to wonder. I can see that people have viewed a chapter or post, but what did they think? Did it bore them so they never even finished? Did they think it was absolutely stupid and just held their tongues to avoid being rude? Did they just get redirected accidentally and not want to see it at all?

Then there's the case of Break Out, a fiction that has more or less moved entirely out of my interest. Still, I continued it because some reviewers pleaded so earnestly that it was a good story and something I should never consider abandoning. Then all of the reviews per chapter dribbled off to three or four. Now, that's a great number in my opinion, for, say, The Long and Winding Road or Cage. Those stories, however, still cry out to be written. Break Out is only there for the readers, few of which seem to care about my efforts enough to lend a bit of time to review. Am I right in feeling ripped off, or am I just whiny? Do I have to once again threaten to end the series for those enamoured reviewers to return? Has the uninspired quality sunk so low no one thinks I deserve a review?

I've always been insecure about the quality of my writing, and I think some dose of that is inevitable for the lot of us. But as the quote on my eBook cover goes, "A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it." Writing is a cooperative enterprise, and I want to feel like we're all actually cooperating. I'm sure I'll feel a bit differently as to how that relationship works when I have some stories for sale instead of just available for free on fanfiction.net, but I'll always want some feedback.

As far as the blog goes, I'm not too worried about stopping it. The New Fiction Idea #So-and-So series in particular has been helpful to me to keep track, even if I don't get all that much feedback from possible readers of the story. That's not to say I'm not disappointed in the same manner when something like New Short Story Idea #3 doesn't get any comments, but I can handle that. This blog isn't all that much work, and it's one of those things that I feel like I'm doing for myself. It's intended to generate a bigger fanbase for when I publish, but maybe it will get there. I'll just keep throwing my ramblings out there and hoping someone will respond.

4 comments:

  1. I know that feeling. I wonder if anyone even reads my stuff. The stats say they do. The comments section says that they don't.
    You know... it seems rather irrational that I'm always scared to give a review, when I've never had someone blow up in my face about one...
    Mim
    (BTW, is your email working? B-day coming up)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a lot of the time I'd rather not give reviews just because mine aren't very analytical or long, but no one's ever asked me to give a proper critique, polite or otherwise. I've gotten some dumb reviews, but I'll only complain to some of my writer friends if anything. And then there was that one review where I just got flamed for being a Christian, so I reported it, but I didn't want to start a fight with that reviewer, anyway...

      Overall, I think it's just nice to tell the writer something. You know.

      (Email's working, yup.)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I feel kind of the same way - I know I don't really have any right to complain because I have a lot of reviews for Unstained, but it always makes me wonder when people favorite it or add it to story alerts but don't offer any sort of feedback. Not to mention that I've never been totally confident in my writing skills, especially after that one reviewer showed up, and a great deal of the reason why I spend so much time between updates is because I'm almost scared to write for fear that it won't turn out as good as what I have in my head.

    About Break Out, I totally understand why you feel betrayed that so many people begged you to keep writing and then never bothered to review. That irked me too, and not just because I wrote the last chapter.

    Thank you for mentioning me in the post! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I get a bit curious when someone faves without reviewing, but what really upsets me is when a reviewer disappears. I for one only stop reviewing a fic if I'm no longer interested, so...

      Ugh, I'm the same way about it not turning out right (although I only want to punch Mr. Servo for your sake). The America/South Vietnam scene in Break Out was so tense and dramatic in my head, but once it was out on the page, it just wilted.

      At least you got Tanglepelt to review, XD

      Thank you for being worth of being mentioned in the post! ;3

      Delete