Translate

Friday, August 30, 2013

Art!

Because true creative minds cannot be tied to one medium alone!

...That doesn't necessarily mean we're good at all of them, but still.

Some of you may be aware I have a deviantArt page, although I don't post much. I'm always more inspired to put things into words than pictures. Occasionally, though, a single moment or idea presents itself, and it cannot be hacked out on a computer keyboard. That, or it's something that really doesn't interest me that much, such as fluffy romantic pictures for certain Hetalia characters, so I'd rather sketch it out than try to construct a whole story of any length. And then sometimes I just feel more like drawing than writing.

I've already done a few posts on how connected music is to writing, but it is, of course, its own art form. I've humoured the idea of becoming a classical composer (or rock star, let's not lie), but I'm never really inspired to make music. I'll sing along to Fleetwood Mac or play "Crazy Train" on oboe, sure, and I'll often find myself humming a random, classical-style tune that I find catchy (usually this happens when I start adjusting a tune to something annoying that's stuck in my head and go way off on a tangent), but it's not the same as creating a story. It sounds pretty, and it can tell stories in some sense, but there are less specifics, more hinting, and less time to get through it all. It's kind of hard to describe my view on music because it's so many things to me—a background to writing, an inspiration to writing, a way to shift my focus away from a stressful situation, a means of worship, and sometimes just a means of amusement.

All I can say is, these mediums are different, as they should be, and can't serve quite the same purpose for the same person. Of course, they can be mixed, but that's another story altogether.

To conclude, here are a few random ideas that I want to draw but haven't yet. I may start posting these like I do Fragments, although they have little to do with writing and might not belong here.

    • A collage of anatomical sketches (e.g., nephrons, neurons, stratified squamous epithelial cells) overlaid with the text "I AM FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE"
    • [fan art] A shipping picture featuring Russia and (OC) Antarctica with the title "To the Ends of the Earth"
    • Personifications of Mississippi and Alabama standing back-to-back
    • [fan art] A shot of a really, really battered WWII England with an almost crazed look of tenacity, the background being a particularly bad bombing of London
    • An American flag made by snippets of red, white, and blue portions of other nations' flags (with a few other colors so the other flags can still be identified)
    • Pairs of characters from The Long and Winding Road, including Emile brushing Monique's hair, Charlotte and Arthur back to back shooting down monsters, Jordan trying to teach Silas violin, and Martin joshing around with Manfred
    • Not exactly a drawing, but I'd love to make some chaotic war/battle scene with no sound but "Scarborough Fair"

2 comments:

  1. I liked reading your thoughts on art and music, particularly the many various things that music means to you. I have a similar view to yours - that each art form is powerful on its own, but combining them can make something even more magical. (Maybe that's why I draw so much Fanart for books and stories, or associate different songs so strongly with characters.)

    Neat ideas for art! The ones I'd be most excited to see are the WWII England one, the anatomical sketches (I'd like to see how you draw them) and, of course, the LWR sketches (although I don't know who most of those are.)

    As for the Scarborough Fair one, this isn't totally relevant, but a few years back our choir sang a medley of that song and The Sound of Silence for a Remembrance Day ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the WWII one needs to have really epic lighting, though, and I'm not very good at that. Maybe I can get somebody else to do it.

      I suggested to the informal school art club the anatomical one, but the leader got confused and thought she would be drawing a giant liver with somebody leaning on it. Not sure why.

      Emile and Monique are the versions of France and Monaco; Jordan and Silas North and South Italy; and Martin and Manfred Prussia and Germany.

      Cool. I don't actually like that song, though; I just think it would be cool for such a situation.

      Delete