Translate

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Words to Use and Love

While my main love is for the stories and sometimes the characters, I have to appreciate the words themselves. Here are a few of my favourites (usually just because of the sound of them), although I haven't always had the chance to squeeze them in naturally.

I was going to provide the definitions in this post, but that might be a little long. As it is, I'm only posting a small portion of my saved words.

spangled                                     brown study                                  apoplectic
etiolated                                      fomite                                           larrup
bespatter                                     torrefy                                           divulse
boffin                                         catawampus                                  ravelment
wowser                                      erubescent                                     cunctation
skylark                                       mantic                                           agnate
asseverate                                   hoary                                            chockablock
impecunious                               aureate                                          abstergent
nidus                                          melismatic                                    mumpsimus
foofaraw                                    overslaugh                                    sumpsimus
lucubration                                nervure                                          aliquant
coffle                                         skirr                                               hypethral
malapert                                     bosh                                              deflagrate
incondite                                    hew                                               orectic

So, what are your thoughts? Have any words of your own that have never quite fit in a scene, or are a little too rare for the common reader (and often spellcheck)?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those are pretty unique! I don't even know the meaning of most of them. I can't think of any words I particularly like at the moment, I just use whatever seems to fit ... although when I was about, oh, 12 or so, I had a brief obsession with the words 'radiant,' 'brilliant,' and 'dazzling' and would try to use one per page. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are (almost) all from Word of the Day emails/apps, actually.

      I had actually been wanting to use "exudate" for a long time before I finally had a chance to slip it in.

      That's amazing. You should have written a lot of Rock Lee fan fiction. :P

      Delete
    2. Which story did you use exudate in?

      XD

      Btw, if you're wondering about TLWR, don't worry, I did read it, it's just taking me a while to find the time I want to dedicate to writing a review.

      Delete