Translate

Saturday, January 4, 2014

He Said, She Said

Speech tags are quite the troublesome creatures. Some people say not to use them at all; some say to only use "say"; some say to use whatever as long as you don't add adverbs.

I'm still a little conflicted on this point myself. I would do a study of books I read to see what techniques they use, but... I've never actually noticed. I don't know whether that means it's the right way of doing it or it just doesn't matter to me as a reader, though.

Although I do admit I have somewhat of a stance. I don't remember what story it was, but some time ago I decided to never use the word "said." Not by replacing speech tags with more sideways attributes, but by using "growled," "muttered," and so on. That did not go well. I agree with the idea that these sorts of tags should be used sparingly, and only if the tone of the speaker isn't obvious in the words themselves. Sometimes I have to debate between using such speech tags or using italics, exclamation points, etc. in the quote. I'm still not sure how to resolve those.

I don't like the idea of never using speech tags, though. I do try to avoid them sometimes, when I'd rather break up some dialogue ("I don't know." He leaned back, his head thumping against the wall. "I've just about had it, myself."), but I don't think this needs to be a golden rule. It's nice to have "beats" like that, as I've heard them called, but sometimes it leads to noting every time someone rearranges his legs or something, and it's just a lot of words without meaning. I'd rather throw a few "say"s in there than put out such boring beats all of the time.

How about you? Do you take much notice of speech tags in your reading or writing?

3 comments:

  1. See, the way I was taught was that 'said' should never be used - at all. As we've both found out for experience, that's not the way to go. Personally, I try to put in a mix of 'said's, other speech tags (i.e. growled, muttered, like you said) and other things (like the "he stretches his legs," etc.) I guess I don't really think about it; I just put whatever seems natural for the moment. If I look back and realize there are just too many 'said's, I'll change a couple, but I don't think it's necessary to force in adjectives for said when they don't fit with what's being said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've noticed how often said is used. It''s one of those words that my brain just skips over when I read. For extra sentence variety, maybe put, "He said," and "she growled," before the thing they said?
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I don't put the tags first very often, so that could help change things up.

      Delete