Translate

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Lee's Island, Part 6

[The madness begins here.]

Part 6, in which the orphaned dialogue epidemic continues and readers can *probably* deduce who my least favourite character was.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


"TenTen? Are you awake?" Sakura bent down into the tent. "Uh-huh," TenTen replied. She was staring out into one of the cracks in the tent. "I think it's going to rain today," she said. "Huh. I didn't notice all of those clouds," Sakura said. "If it is going to rain," she continued, "we'll need to cover up these gaps in the tent."
"Hey, guys?" TenTen responded. "Where did you find these giant leaves? We could use some more." Lee pondered for a moment. "Somewhere on the edge of the forest."
"Okay, everyone, let's go find some more."
"So, should we stay together or split up?" TenTen asked. "Definitely stay together," Sakura said. "If something attacks one of us, we'll need each other's help. Especially since TenTen is low on chakra."
"Are we agreed?"
"Yes."
"Yup."
"Uh-huh."
"Then let's go." The four Leaf Village ninja walked to the forest.
"Found them yet?" TenTen said.
"Nope."
"Nothing."
"I didn't find them, but these might do!" Everyone rushed over to where Sakura was standing. She was holding up some long strips of peeled bark. "They seem pretty waterproof," said Sakura. TenTen walked up and felt the bark. "Works for me. Let's head back." A boom split the air. "Uh-oh, everybody hurry! The storm is starting!" The ninja ran with shares of the bark. They reached their hut in no time. "Okay, come on, everybody! We need to secure the bark now!"
"Oh, no! We need some kelp to fasten it!"
"I got it!" Lee darted towards the shore. He returned in an instant with strands of kelp hanging from his fingertips. "You go ahead and secure it. I think I saw someone, so I will be right back," he said. "Okay, hurry, before the storm reaches us!" Sakura replied. Lee sprinted back to the shore.
He reached it shortly and realized his glimpse was correct: a boy was lying on the beach. Rock Lee gasped. It was Neji, and he wasn't breathing. "Neji? Neji? Neji!" No response, not even a breath. Then TenTen came over. "Oh my gosh, is that Neji?" Lee nodded. "And he is not breathing!"
"Have you checked his pulse?" Lee swallowed. "I am afraid to," he said.
"Here, I'll do it." TenTen placed her hand on Neji's neck. She drew back quickly. "He has no pulse!"
"No," Lee said. "I never got the chance to defeat him." TenTen sighed. "Well, I guess there's nothing we can do."
"Guys? You okay?" Sakura had joined the lineup. "Yeah," TenTen said, "but we can't say the same for Neji." Sakura looked at the Hyuga lying still on the ground. "Oh, no," she said. Lee looked up at her. "He is not breathing and he has no pulse. There's no way he will make it through the storm." There was a moment of silence. "Wait," Sakura said, "I have an idea."
"What?"
"Remember that one girl? The one that helped TenTen? Maybe she could help."
"Oh, yeah! What was her name now?"
"It was Kikesu. Kikesu! Kikesu! Kikesu!" Sakura yelled into the air. "Yes?" called a voice from the rain. "Kikesu! We need your help. Can you revive Neji?" Kikesu appeared suddenly and examined the boy. "I'm sorry, I can't help him."
"What?!" yelled the three Leaf Village ninja. "Why not?"
"Do you remember when I said that I had to leave and save someone worthy?" Sakura replied, "Yes. Why?"
"Here's the thing: My abilities in the healing area are great, but to revive someone takes much energy. I can draw chakra from various places, but with the great amount of people that need saving," she inhaled,"My twin and I can't possibly revive them all. So my sister and I decided on rules for whom to save. Only the purest of heart, with no hint of evil in them, can be saved."
"You mean, Neji..." Sakura trailed off.
"Yes. He has far too much evil residing in him. If I use my chakra to revive him, I will not be able to revive the next person in need. And if it turns out that that person could have saved the world and Neji destroys it, everything will be in vain."
"Neji's not that bad!" TenTen yelled angrily.
"You can never tell when that much darkness is there as a child. Even if he is on the right side now, there's no way to tell where he will be later on."
"Please, can't you bend the rules just this once?" Tears brimmed in TenTen's eyes.
"I'm sorry, there's no way I can. So I must bid you farewell. May luck be with you." And just like that, Kikesu disappeared into the rain. "It is getting a lot harder; maybe we should go back in." Sakura sniffled. "Okay, let's go. Naruto's probably going nuts by now!" They ran back to their makeshift hut.
"Finally! It took you forever! What happened, anyway?" Naruto said. "It was Neji. And he..." Sakura paused.
"What?"
"Died." Naruto jumped straight up. "What?! You mean Neji-"
"Shut up! All of you!" TenTen's voice was shaking. "Don't say anything else about it! Just let the rain wash him away and let us be rid of the memory."
"Sheesh," Naruto muttered. "Hey, will someone get something to eat?"
"Naruto, I am as hungry as you are."
"Fat chance!" Rock Lee and Naruto were snarling at each other. "Hey, quit it, both of you! Can't you see TenTen needs a little peace right now?!" TenTen rolled over on her leaf. "Thank you. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to rest for a minute. Not much we can do when it's raining."
"Mmm-k. Hey Sakura, want to-"
"Don't want to hear it, Naruto! Besides, TenTen's right. We should all rest while we can."
"Okay, fine," Naruto grumbled. "Aw, man, not you, too, Bushy Brow?!"
"Naruto, just shut up so we can all sleep," Sakura said. Naruto mumbled continuously under his breath.
"Naruto!"
"Fine! I'll be quiet! See if I care!" Naruto crossed his arms, facing away from the others. A couple of moments passed.
"Finally!"
"What?! You mean this was your plan all along?!"
"Naruto!" Sakura jumped up and whacked him upside the head.
"Come on, Naruto, you probably need rest whether you think so or not."
"Okay, whatever. Just don't snore this time."
"All of you just shut up," TenTen said. Eventually, all of the Leaf ninja were asleep in their makeshift hut.
Lee was the first to wake up. By then it had stopped raining. He yawned and walked out of the tent. The sand was wet, and the night had come. "I guess I will do my shift first," he said. "I sure could use something to eat, though. I wonder if there is any more of that purple ivy? No, I shouldn't. They could be poisonous. Maybe I could catch some fish?" He sighed. "I couldn't get anything to spark if I catch one. Is there anything to eat around here?!" His stomach grumbled loudly, and he groaned. "There has to be something to eat. Maybe I could sneak in and look at Sakura's scroll to find something that isn't poisonous. Yeah, I'll try that." He walked quietly into the hut and looked around for the survival scroll. He grabbed it and walked into the forest."Okay, I shall find something to eat," he said, opening up the scroll. He walked around the grove looking at the plants in the scroll and the ones in front of him. "Yes!" he said, coming across a tree that had red leaves with pointed tips, three on each leaf, and bore small yellow fruits. "And only the fruits are edible," he read. "Well, I will try them out." He plucked one of the fruits from the tree and bit into it. "This tastes horrible!" he said."Who cares? I am starving!" He ate fruit after fruit until he was satisfied. "Blech! That tasted awful, but it was worth it!" He walked back to the shack and took watch.
As anyone could predict, Naruto's stomach woke him up next. "Man, I'm hungry," he grumbled. Naruto walked outside where Lee was doing squats. Naruto crept up behind Lee, so close he could hear Lee saying One-thirty-one. One-thirty-two.
"Hey, Bushy Brow, what are you doing out here?" Lee jumped at Naruto's arrival. "Oh, nothing, really. I woke up, so I thought I would take first watch."
"Is there anything to eat around here?"
"Uh-huh. I found these fruits that taste-" He stopped and smiled. "Really great! You want some?"
"Yeah! Where are they?"
"Follow me!" Lee led Naruto to the spot where he had found the awful tasting fruit. "Here they are!" he said with a grin.
"All right!" Naruto grabbed a bunch of them and crammed them into his mouth. He instantly spat them out. "Hey! I thought you said these tasted good!" Lee was laughing hard.
"Sorry, Naruto, I could not help it. By the way, they were the only edible ones I could find. Enjoy!" he said with a snicker. Lee walked back to the natural house. Naruto walked back and went to sleep.
"I have an idea," Lee said to himself. He then labored away at a secret project.

4 comments:

  1. When the boom first split the air, I thought it was a cannon. Too much Hunger Games. XD

    Aw, poor Neji DX Wow, guess you didn't like him much! (This also seems harsher in hindsight given what recently happened to him in the manga...) It's hilarious/awful how quickly they get over him, too.

    ... And the story quickly goes back to its typical plot: Lee searching for food. XD

    I love how it just ends with him working on some unexplained project. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha.

      I suppose it does have a lot of that, doesn't it? More than my last Hunger Games fic, too.

      It didn't really have any breaks, so I ended there for convenience's sake, ha.

      Delete
    2. I'm so used to Hunger Games stuff now that whenever someone dies in another show/book/movie, I think "they still have to be alive, there wasn't a cannon yet!" XD

      Delete
    3. Nothing wrong with a little more denial in your life.

      Delete