Translate

Monday, January 21, 2013

The Moral of the Story

So, I've decided to do Mayflies for my two-year-novel course. Writing down the basic idea and genre were easy enough. This week, however, the task is to assign a theme. I've put some sort of thought into it before, but I'm entirely new to trying to incorporate a theme from the beginning rather than writing the story and seeing what comes out of it.

I started out stating the theme as injustice, and how it may always be present, but that's no reason to give up on justice. One observer suggested it would be better to call the theme justice since no one is seeking injustice. Another commented that destiny could work well, too.

Are there any suggestions from readers here? Any suggestions on writing in themes in general? I could use some assistance.

3 comments:

  1. First off, congratulations on choosing a story for your 2-year-course. Out of all the ones you've posted here (and haven't started), I think Mayflies seems to have the most potential.

    I read over the description of Mayflies again to see what the theme could be, and came up with the following ideas:

    - The injustice of punishing children for the crimes of their parents/societies – I don’t know who your antagonists are planning to be, but you could bring this theme to the forefront by having one of the Mayflies try to kill a villain’s loved one for revenge, and then realize that doing so would be exactly the same as the curse that they’re afflicted with, and that it wouldn’t make it right.
    - The public’s need for a scapegoat and the tendency to blame the outcast (Mayflies being blamed for crop failures, disease, etc.)
    - Outcasts and prejudice in general
    - Any of the ones you mentioned sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That situation won't work with the main antagonist, but I could definitely put that sort of thing into Julian's backstory (although he does go through with it, he could certainly come to think of it that way).

      Ooh, that one could be nice.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Glad I could help. :)

      Delete