Translate

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Writing Spaces

Where do you like to write?

When I'm at school, I usually do my writing on my plugged-in laptop on my desk. I've heard some people like to turn out the lights so nothing else in the room distracts them, but that's a big no for me. A glowing screen in the dark makes my eyes hurt (and may be part of the reason movies give me headaches). Just above the shelf I have my radio/iHome/alarm clock, whose writing use I have explained earlier. My phone is nearby in its weird little stand, though that's not a big deal because I rarely text people, and they rarely call me. I sit sort of slumped back in my vaguely-cushy rocking chair with a foot on the weird low shelf inside my desk.

Given my schedule and my need to do homework during gaps in the day, I do most of my writing in the evenings. Say, 16:00–16:50 (when I leave for supper) and then off and on until 21:40 (when I do my Bible study). Of course, I do things in the evenings on occasion, mostly Scribes meetings and dorm events, but most of it is writing or reading or poking about Neopets and some of the rest of the Internet.

I have done some writing after 22:00 or during the school day, but that's only on special occasions, usually when the end of a chapter is close enough. I can fuss with typing after my Bible study, but my brain doesn't function that well once it gets that late, and I'll turn in soon afterwards, so I usually won't bother starting something I can't finish. I think the only time I've stayed up significantly late writing was when I was doing chapter 48 of The Rules. My roommate was quite surprised to find me up.

At home, I do most of my writing with the laptop unplugged in my little corner of the couch. It's my attempt to be sort of sociable around my parents (and I don't get good Wi-Fi reception in my room). Given the lack of classes, I'll type anytime then.

I did have to stretch myself for NaNo. I brought a lined journal and jotted down things before classes, waiting for an omelette to cook (at someone else's hands! I'd burn the place down), and on one occasion during a basketball game on my phone (this is not recommended under any normal conditions). When it's that urgent, I can block out all of the people a bit better, but for the most part it's just distracting. If I'm in the throes of writer's block, I might try to type with other people chatting around me. I actually did that for the last chapter of Unsurvivable, and a joke somehow led to a friend (the same boy who elaborated on the zombie restaurant idea, incidentally) typing enough of the chapter for me to get back with it.

I am guilty of distracting myself with the Internet while I type. I'll drag some of my (Neopets) Habitarium P3's into their homes to rest, or check my email, or look at some recent reviews. I feel like I do these things so often it hurts my productivity, but it's difficult to stop. I can't even up and switch the Internet off, or I'll lose what I'm typing on (fanfiction.net's) Doc Editor, and I'm too OCD to type up my fan fictions elsewhere.

(And, yes, I've decided to start putting more links in my posts. Why not?)

2 comments:

  1. In denial about SpainFebruary 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

    I loved hearing how and where you write! Let's see ... for me, I need pretty much dead silence and I have to restrain myself from going on the internet, otherwise I'll get too distracted. I usually just type on my computer at my desk in our house's sort-of front room/computer room, and as for things that are around me, well, there's a printer, a Katniss Everdeen action figure propped up against it, two history calendars, a Harry Potter Famous Wizards card, various binders, books and other junk ... yeah, it's kind of a mess. I sometimes bring my computer to the study area downstairs to type as well, like when I'm working on something for dA or I just want more privacy. I'll occasionally work on/read FanFictions at my grandma's house as well, in which case I'd be in the basement.

    Also, seeing as you type your FanFictions in Doc Editor where they're (presumably) eventually erased, I've started to copying them onto Word in case something ever happens. Promise me that if you ever decide to deactivate your account or delete everything, you'll at least give me a heads up and some time to copy everything? Your stuff means too much to me for me to ever lose it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, I have a lot more around me than I listed there. Let's see, a stack of business cards; my Mini Cooper USB with Doctor Who episodes; lotion; a desk lamp; gum; mints; pens; sticky notes; chapstick; tea set; organiser filled with papers and stationery; toontwins badges with Russia, England, and America; the little remote for my iHome; a letter from the only friend who writes me letters; a USB with my Japanese lessons; an agenda; a mini Big Ben notepad; a pencil; The Who earbuds; a steampunk necklace; a ruler/three-hole-punch with a Rock Lee badge on it; prescription skin cream; a pencil sharpener; a mini stapler; and a frog tape dispenser.

      ...And that's not counting the two shelves above it.

      I promise~

      Delete