Translate

Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Amelia Special

Or: The Best Way to Visualise Characters is by (Others) Drawing Them.

Amelia is a friend and almost-neighbour who, unlike me, is able to draw people in non-manga styles. She's also willing to sketch things on request when we're stuck on a long field trip. As such, I have requested a few character drawings, though with differing specificity.

Clyde and Pink


(Sorry for the blurry snapshot of her sketchbook.) Having read only the first section of Chasers, she didn't have much to work with. Still, there was a decent description of Clyde, so I asked her to draw him, and she came up with all of this. It's really nice, because Clyde's eyebrows are perfect (I'm a freak about eyebrows, okay?), although they didn't show up too well in this picture, and I didn't have much of a physical design for Pink (I had actually just vaguely imagined her as a blonde Tayuya), so this worked out really well. Clyde's missing his top hat, but it's nice to see what his full head of hair looks like, so I'll forgive her.

Laurie


These and the following sketches were actually from a trip much earlier, but they definitely deserve in, too. I asked Amelia to draw Macbay's beloved truck. While I'm not going with the treads (they were a cool idea, but the speed limit just isn't going to work) and the dashboard got flipped somehow, it was really cool watching this come to life. Now I know where the advertising panel is (though it's probably going to say "Macbay Transportation Services"), and all of the smoke pipes and mirrors are cool to see, too.

Max Webb


We didn't take this one entirely seriously, but this is a really good head-image for Macbay Transportation Services's antagonist. A bit plump, none too jolly, and well-dressed. And with a gap in his eyebrow from his time in the army (Yes, I even characterise people through their eyebrows. Shhh.). And last but not least...

Bartholomew Macbay


...We were rather tired by the time we got to him. Note that his arms are not like they appear in this sketch. Ahem. Otherwise, pretty accurate. Not all that handsome, not all that well-dressed, and a little bit classy without possibly being called a gentleman. His teeth are also pretty grody, which I wouldn't be able to draw at all.

2 comments:

  1. These were really fun to see! Clyde and Pink look pretty much exactly how I imagined them, although I envisioned Clyde wearing a kilt for some reason (I can't remember whether or not the excerpt said he was ... probably not DX) and Pink with a ponytail. The truck looks really neat; I love how she incorporated the elements of steampunk so well (and I actually really like the treads!) Max Webb looks kind of like a vampire to me. The picture of Bartholomew confused me for a while because I couldn't remember him having any arm-related superpowers that would cause him to look like that, but then I read the description. XD That really helps me envision him better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Clyde was just wearing a suit. Him in a kilt... XD

      I really like the treads, too! I wish they would go fast enough for the story, but alack.

      Max would make a good vampire, fft.

      Macbay does have some powers, but they're not like that. I guess it would be possible for him to do something like that, but it would be really painful and not that useful. XD

      Delete