Translate

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Prioritizing a Priority

In writing down basics for every story idea that comes to me, it's become obvious I can't do everything at once. While writing already has its own place on my list of priorities (somewhere below Bible study and possibly not wisely assigned in relation to schoolwork), each writing project has its own rank or general area as well. Now that I've hit twenty original novel ideas (including my fan-fiction-turned-original), I feel like I ought to do a bit of ordering.

Top of the List:
These are stories that I really want to write (or at least plot out/world-build, etc.) as soon as humanly possible.
  1. The Long and Winding Road (mid-writing)
  2. Mayflies (going through online course)
  3. New Fiction Idea #17 (I feel like I need to do a lot of world-building first, but I may at least test the waters of the first chapter before risking another Vortex of Infinite World-Building)
  4. Chasers (have begun writing, but barely)
  5. Macbay Transportation Services (will start writing once I get out of the Vortex)
Almost Top of the List:
These are stories that really interest me but aren't yet demanding to be written.
  1. Wanderers (love the world, not quite sure about plot or characters)
  2. Entrapped (hadn't been taking it seriously, but reading Incarceron makes prison-steampunk sound even better)
  3. The Heiress (not looking forward to world-building for some reason, but the actual story seems fun)
  4. Mount (a bit of back-to-basics steampunk just sounds nice)
  5. Chemists (once Jacob is properly tweaked and I've gotten over my first failed attempt, this is worth the trouble)
In the Middle:
These are stories I may or may not write, depending on whether some discovery about the story suddenly makes it more appealing.
  1. Revolution (might as well have some lightheartedness among the slaughter and hard steampunk if I can manage a whole story of it; also [somewhat] contemplating it as an opera)
  2. Family of Ibro (it interests me a lot, but the characters aren't really speaking to me yet)
  3. New Fiction Idea #14 (could be neat to play with a dystopia and utopia in the same story)
  4. War (the format would be weird, but it's intense enough to arouse some interest)
  5. Carmine (not liking how the romance shoved its way in, but a fantasy Cold War espionage has to be written sometime)
Just Meh:
These are stories that really don't particularly appeal to me yet. I may not feel capable of handling the material or style, or it was just a passing whimsy I wanted to note.
  1. The Rules (about the reverse of Family of Ibro—the characters are fine, repeated plot device not so much)
  2. Specials (just seems too unoriginal)
  3. Crumbling (not worrying about this until I get a good, original system for ghosts other than that used for Chasers)
  4. A Murder of Crows (never done a basic mystery, and not sure how much bird group puns could propel a story)
  5. Intolerant (has actually been handed off to a friend)
What do you think? Disappointed or encouraged? Had a different list of what you wanted to see first? Not so fond of ordering yourself?

I might do something like this for fan fiction ideas, etc. as well, though I don't have that many yet.

And, unrelated to everything else in this post, the Russians have invaded (there are officially more hits from Russia than the United States this week)! Not that that's a bad thing. Здравствуйте! (Because I can totally pronounce that in real life. Ahem.)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed by how organized you are and how much dedication you seem to have to so many different stories! I have the desire to write, but the motivation ... not so much. I get so distracted with various other projects that mustering up the effort to write a 7,000 word chapter rarely ever happens. (And now I've just started getting ideas for a Hetalia/Titanic crossover. And my sister's introducing me to Pottermore. Goodbye life.)

    I was pretty unsurprised by your listing of priorities, though I thought Macbay would be a bit higher (maybe at number 2) and Intolerant would be way higher (5-10ish).

    Speaking of hits from other countries, I recently discovered that my flag counter lists states and provinces as well, and I'm pretty sure I know where you're from now ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how you define "dedication." I've probably written one more sentence of Chasers and have done very little for the others, even those high on the list.

      And that's why I write 2,000 word chapters instead. :P

      Macbay's sort of been beaten to death a little bit by the Vortex of Infinite World-Building. I still want to tell the story, but it's difficult to get the fun back into it.

      Ah, do you? Good thing I use Safari instead of Google Chrome, which allows you to feign your geolocation.

      Delete