Translate

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dream Journal #15

I had gone so long without remembering a whole dream that I scribbled this down in the dark before I fell back asleep.

11 Sept12 Sept

I was at some sort of band camp, sitting in an auditorium-type area with a planetarium feel to it. Everything was a bit dark and bluish. Becky* and I had done some kind of musical performance, culminating in playing a video game together that was something like a dating sim. Now I was sitting next to her, among many others at the camp.

Dr. F** was presenting something to us, resting his hands on a cheap, one-legged podium. He concluded his little speech by grinning and informing us he was a dork about it before zombies became "a thing." He then readied his flute and played a few halting bars of a song before awkwardly trailing off. Telling us he was trying to play a certain song (which I can only remember ended with the word "Power"), he chuckled and lowered the flute. I didn't know the song, but I recognised that it was some sort of classic hard rock song. Since I had a huge book of hard rock sheet music, I volunteered to go get it. Dr. F was pleased and waved we me out to find it.

I had walked to a far room full of bunk beds before I realised my sheet music was in my locker, along with my oboe and a spare pair of jeans. I turned to leave the room, but a Hispanic mother was in the way, sitting in a chair that blocked the space between beds as she helped her daughter get her bedding set up on the top bunk. They kept chattering in Spanish, and I tried to catch the mother's attention so she would get out of my way, but she didn't look at me. I contemplated climbing up and over one of the unoccupied beds, but there were little, dead bugs all over the mattress covers, and, even though the bunk bed I had been eyeing had a little metal ladder extending over the top of the upper mattress, I didn't want to risk it. Suddenly the daughter asked her mother something in English pertaining to the move-in, and she answered. Turning to me, the mother said she asked her child to ask questions in English because I was there.

Somehow I escaped those two, but I wasn't out of the bunk bed room before I ran into a familiar-looking girl with straight, shoulder-length blonde hair. I told her I thought I knew her, but I couldn't think of how. She shook my hand and reintroduced herself as Allie (her real name being Alpha). Recognition finally dawned on my face, but she continued to tell me we had been to the same church camp since before my congregation moved to a different campsite.

I said goodbye and hurried back to the locker room. The floors were black like lab tables, and the lockers were cubby holes with swinging wooden doors. The door to mine had been closed while I was gone, and I started to panic because I didn't know the combination. When I pulled at the handle-less door, though, it swung right open. Finally I saw my things and started to pull out the book of sheet music. Apparently the cubby was at some sort of slope, because everything kept trying to slide out onto me. Eventually I managed to get out the hard rock music book, along with my Journey sheet music book and an extremely thin volume of Schoolhouse Rock! sheet music.

Closing my locker, I backed up, arranged the books in my arms, and started back towards the hallway. Before I was out of the room, one of the band kids, a rather large male who had been standing casually by a wall perpendicular to me, puffed out his chest so that he thumped into my side. This threw me off a little, but I kept walking because I was sure he was just joking around despite the frown on his face. I gave up that theory when he and a male friend, who had been a bit behind me, shoved me hard in the back. I stumbled but managed to hurry out of the room.

* Becky is a family friend/mother of my long-time best friend. I think I've seen her play a keyboard, so maybe we did a duet with that?
**Dr. F (he often goes by that because very few people can spell his last name) is my physics teacher. He tries way too hard to be funny, but he still is funny sometimes. He was quite in-character here, although I have no idea why my subconscious decided he plays flute.

2 comments:

  1. That was wonderful. XD I liked the mix-up with the Hispanic family. Btw, sorry I haven't been responding lately; I only just got my computer (with proper internet access) back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Glad to hear your computer's back in working order.

      Delete