Translate

Friday, September 20, 2013

O Thou Font of Every Blessing

While it seems most published stories need to meet certain font requirements, especially in digital publishing, I can't help but search for exactly the font in which I would like to read and write my stories.

A lot of my writing is done in 12-pt Verdana because that's what the FanFiction.Net Document Editor uses. That, of course, only applies to my fan fictions (although it should be noted that that's how I get to see the first and second drafts of The Long and Winding Road). I also use the plain horizontal lines for section breaks.

Along the Winding Road, however, currently appears in 13-pt Bell MT. I'm not sure exactly what about it seems just right for the story—as is the case for most of my fonts—but I do like the number styling in the chapter number-titles (which appear in centred 25-pt). Section breaks are currently formatted with a centred "~*~".

Mayflies is in 11-pt Georgia. This seems like a rather average font, but maybe I'd just like some tinge of normalcy in a story about ancient Mayan bird men and their sorcerer friend. Chapter headings are currently left-aligned, 12-pt, bolded letters (a "J" if Jonathan narrates, or an "M" if Matthew narrates).

Piracy Cruise Lines requires some pretty huge margins for some reason. Text is in 15-pt Garamond. Section breaks have yet to appear, but chapter number-titles are right-aligned, 18-pt, and formatted "---1---."

Dreadful Valley (my NaNoWriMo novel) was written in 12-pt Andalus, with section breaks formatted as plain horizontal lines. There were no chapter titles. I may have just needed a font that worked whether I was writing with my computer in Mac or Windows mode, although I still wouldn't put up with anything too typical, it seems.

Figments is in 12-pt Constantia with right-aligned chapter number-titles at the top of the page.

Chasers appears in 12-pt Candara. Section breaks (modelled somewhat after the Pac-Man dots) are a centred arrangement of three ""s. No chapter titles appear.

This blog (when it behaves) is in 12-px Copse, with the title "Novelling with Journey" in 60-px Consolas.

What kind of fonts do you like to us? Do they influence your writing at all?

2 comments:

  1. I like the pun in the title! :D

    Wow, I had no idea you used so many different fonts! For me, it's always 12-pt Times New Roman, with ~~0~~ as section breaks for Unstained (because I haven't figured out how to make anything else work - what do you use? Lines like this? ---) I'll occasionally use a fancier font if I'm doing specific (like I use Comic Sans for my recipes and Garamond for certain historical-related things) but it's mostly TNR. And I usually have the lines spaced as narrowly as they can be - I can't stand writing double-spaced. Too much empty room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first thought, I was going to use "fontastic" somehow, but I think that's a bit cliche.

      In Word, you can do three hyphens and enter, and it will do a straight line (although it does strange things sometimes). And if you do three tildes, the line will zigzag, and if you do three asterisks, the line will be dotted. At least in my version.

      I usually do 1.5-spaced. I agree that double is too much, but I can't stand single spacing on anything but Document Editor.

      Delete