Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

Further Remnants of My Reading List

A (still incomplete) continuation of my reading list.

  • Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. Now, I had the misfortune to have to read A Tale of Two Cities too young and sort of decided not to approach Dickens again. Then I read a selection of this for class recently, and I couldn't figure out what I had hated so much about him. 
  • Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin Abbott Abbott. I've heard of it before, and then it was recommended in my Bible, Science, & Human Values class when we were discussing the probability of more than three space dimensions. One of the professors admitted that finding out it was a political satire sort of ruined it for him, though, ha.
  • Gutters by glassamilk (on fanfiction.net). I've heard good things about it and browsed the prologue without disliking the writing style. I'm a bit worried about its rating, though hopefully it's just for violence.
  • From Fearful to Fearsome by be-nice-to-nerds (on fanfiction.net). I'm not sure how far I got, but I added the story to my favourites without actually finishing it. I should really get to actually reading it through. It's certainly been good enough to warrant it.
  • The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. The movie was my favourite thing ever as a kid, and I've seen it multiple times, onstage, and I've even played in one onstage (as a munchkin extra, albeit). I've also seen Wicked, Return to Oz, and Oz, the Great and Powerful, but I still haven't read the originals. Doesn't seem quite right.
  • Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. I've been reading the two before it, and once I finish this prequel series, I'll go ahead and try the original series. There are some questionable parts, granted, but the writing style is great and with so many beautiful sarcastic comebacks I'd hate to miss any.
  • Unwholly by Neal Shusterman. Because it's Neal Shusterman. End of story. Or not—I can't say how much I freaked out when I first saw this book. Unwind is going to be a trilogy! Huzzah! I feel as if I can at last comprehend the reception of Miserable among my readers.
  • Railsea by China Mieville. Un Lun Dun was awesome, but when I looked for other books by this author, they were all too, eh, adult-oriented. This one said it wasn't, so I bought it. I probably should have sampled the writing first, because it doesn't seem to have the same flow to it. Ah, well. I'm sure it's still worth reading.
  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. One of those "uber-classic, must read" types. Also considering The Three Musketeers.
  • Sherlock Holmes series by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. My dad actually made me read some of it for punishment, so it doesn't exactly hold the best memories for me. At the same time, I feel like it would be fun to read if I can get past that.
(Also, we've now hit 1000 pageviews! Thanks!)

2 comments:

  1. SEEEAALAAAAAAAAAND BABYMarch 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

    JOURNEY. JOURNEY. STOP. NOT GUTTERS, NOT GUTTERS, NOT GUTTERS. Not that there's anything wrong with it - gosh, it looks amazing - but ASLDKJFALSKDJFLKLKJ I skimmed it and decided I literally can't read it because it's SO DARN SAD. And SEEAAALAAAAAAND and DENMAAAAAARK and ALL THE NORDICS BEING A BIG HAPPY FAMILYYYYYYY and I'll admit I only read the prologue and the last chapter but I've heard so much on Tumblr about how sad it is and FEEEEEEELLSSSSSSSSSS.

    In short, it looks really good but really sad. Also, I think there might (?) have been some implied Denmark/Norway in there, but I can't remember if it was indeed romantic or just of a very strong platonic nature.

    I've never heard of someone being made to read something as punishment, but- *Stops self short of saying it would sounds like a 'novel' idea.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've heard there are implied pairings. If they don't get too much attention, I'll be able to stomach it.

      *stops self short of shooting you for that*

      Delete