Translate

Friday, March 8, 2013

My Current Incomplete Reading List

One can't be a writer without being a reader as well. In fact, I really only consider myself I reader—I'm just too impatient to wait for someone else to write some of my ideas.

And so I came to decide to post some of my reading list. I'll always forget a work or two on these, and I'm always hearing about new books, so I may have a sequel at some point if enough readers (likely meaning one, given the average number of readers on any given post) are interested.

In no particular order, we have:

  • Dirk Gently series by Douglas Adams. It's by Douglas Adams. That's my entire rationale behind wanting to read it, and, in my opinion, not a bad one at all. It was also recommended to me by Dr. Patton.
  • Monsters by Ilsa J. Bick. Those of you who stalk my fan fiction profile know I've been reading Ashes and Shadows, and this seems to be the last book of the series. (I'm not sure if it's out yet, but that's fine since I'm still in the middle of Shadows.) The whole thing is sort-of-sort-of-not a zombie apocalypse, but it's well-written and engaging. There's a bit too much swearing, but it's generally spaced out enough among the 500 pages not to get too bad.
  • Satires by Juvenal. We read a bit for class, and satire is just fun.
  • Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. See above. We actually read A Modest Proposal for class, and his satire is so overwhelmingly crossing-the-line-too-much-to-count that I'm interested in more. I also feel like this is a typical novel people read.
  • Whatever the title is going to be by Simon Batt. Although a lot of the my fellows at 2YN have some awesome ideas, I really need to read what he's doing once he publishes. He already has something out called Books and Stripes, so I may check that out first.
  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I've only heard good things about it, and it also feels like one of those novels that everyone is supposed to read.
  • A million (or at least a few dozen) things by Shakespeare. See reasoning for Douglas Adams.
  • Don Quixote by Cervantes. I also read a selection of this for class, and it was beautiful. I hear the entire thing is painfully long, but I feel like I could stand it.
  • Encarceron by Catherine Fisher. I thought it sounded interesting, so I bought it. I hadn't heard anything about it before I randomly saw it in a bookstore, though.
  • Various things by C.S. Lewis. I've already read Chronicles of Narnia (although perhaps I was pretty late in doing that just a few years ago), but I hear he writes some very popular Christian material. Normally I don't do nonfiction, but it could be worth a shot.
  • Works of Edgar Allan Poe. Hopefully he's one of those writers(/poets) who sort of speaks for himself. It sounds like he writes my kind of stuff.
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I've only read some of his short stories (loved "Rappaccini's Daughter"), but I like his style. This also seems like a sort of classic novel.
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Another classic thing that seems to be in my genre.
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker. See above. I may also have a free version on my nook?
  • Witch & Wizard series by James Patterson. I liked Maximum Ride (some more than others, for certain), and my mother has recommended this series. I think I'll read it on the plane rides to Asia this summer.
  • "Who Could That Be at This Hour?" by Lemony Snicket. I love his style. For some reason, I never finished The End of A Series of Unfortunate Events, but I might as well jump into this. It's listed as children's fiction, but who cares? I'm reading enough "adult" stuff to cover it, I think.
  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I'm honestly not sure if I'll make it through this one, but Dr. McBride (English professor) recommends it, and it seems like something with which I should at least be familiar.
  • Works of Jules Verne. I've already read Journey to the Center of the Earth (which was apparently two for a dollar at Wal-Mart), and, if I'm really going to get into the whole steampunk deal, he seems to be a necessity.
  • The Iliad by Homer. Another one of those things it seems everyone should read/know.
That's all I have at the moment, but it's probably enough for a while. What do you think? Any recommendations? Anything you want to read now that I've mentioned it?

2 comments:

  1. That's quite impressive, especially with all those classics! I have a ton of books in my room that I've had for years and haven't read yet (mostly history non-fiction or historical fiction, including Dear Canadas which are for preteens DX) so I guess you could count that as my reading list? Except I'll probably never get around to finishing all of them.

    I've read Fahrenheit 451 in grade 9. It was pretty good. Ooh, and C.S. Lewis! I'll admit I've only read the Narnia books of his, but I really liked them when I was a child. I've read a few Poe short stories, mostly just in school.

    Is it stupid that whenever I hear the title "Journey to the Center of the Earth" nowadays my first thought is of you in some sort of elevator going down to the planet core? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I may never get around to finishing all of these (especially at this rate—I'm not going to be done with Ashes for a month...), either.

      That's perfectly acceptable. XD

      Delete