Translate

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Writing Tools

What do you use to write?

I've never really been one for writing on paper. I do exchange letters with a friend--who gave me a fancy pen and ink!--but my handwriting is too junky and slow for writing my stories that way to appeal to me. Also, marking out ink annoys me. I have done some writing with pencil in journal, though only out of necessity. I jotted down sections of my NaNo novel whenever I could, which usually wasn't near a computer. I've also written pieces of What If in a drawing journal because I was at church camp with no computer access. Basically, I don't like writing in hand in general, but if I need to write enough, I'll do it.

On the other hand, I've never tried any fancy writing software. There were all of these discounts offered to NaNoWriMo winners, and I've heard people singing the praises of Scrivener and some other things in the NaNo forums. I've never tried any, because they all tend to cost money, but I don't know it would be worth it. I've made it this far on Microsoft Word and the fanfiction.net Document Editor. Then again, I'm not quite published, am I? I may look more into these things, though I seriously doubt I would ever spend money on it, because I'm just terribly cheap.

Does anyone have experience with writing software, or detailed recommendations? Coupons? Tips on improving handwriting?

3 comments:

  1. I'm exactly the same as you are. Nothing but Microsoft Word. I hate writing down on paper, especially with pencil because it gets all smudgy and oily. Not to mention it's a very inefficient process for me, because I always have to go back and cross stuff out, change words, move sentences around, etc. I occasionally do bits of story planning in journals, but nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, story planning. Just noting down details in blog posts is totally new for me. And I just went to a Scribes meeting where one girl brought her idea notebook, with FOUR PAGES of columns and columns of character names for the same story. I don't think I'm capable of anything like that. The most organising I can manage is blog posts, and the timeline for The Rules.

      Delete
  2. You should see my planning document for Unstained. It's 29 pages long. Plus, I have a few more planning documents scattered here and there.

    ReplyDelete